- Hopper's (Midvale): The first brew pub offered in south SLC. So far, they've won 34 medals at the North American Brewers Association and GABF.
- Wasatch Brew Pub (Park City and SLC): Products can also be found at their Utah Brewers Co-op facility in Salt Lake City.
- Uinta Brewing (SLC): One of the nation's top 50 craft brewers by volume, their products can be found at their facility several blocks to the west of Utah Brewers Co-op.
- Squatter's (SLC): One of Salt Lake's first brewpubs, in business for more than 25 years and has an extensive list of award-winning beer. Squatter's "People, Planet, Profit" mantra means a dedication to great service and sustainable, local products, where possible. Products can also be found at their Utah Brewers Co-op facility in Salt Lake City.
- Red Rock Brewing Company (SLC): Zagat rated and known for its "new American cuisine."
- Epic Brewing Company (SLC): Has a fast-growing lineup and their Annex gastropub in nearby Sugar House features the brewery's 36 high-point bottled beers and eclectic dishes in a bohemian atmosphere.
A Hop Above the Rest
- Red Rock's Paardebloem: One of the recent winners at GABF, Paardebloem, means "dandelion" in Flemish. The beer takes its name from the bittering dandelion greens that do some of the work of hops. The beer was inspired by 2008's hop shortage, a phenomenon that asked brewers to experiment with other ingredients and still please their consumers' demanding palates.
- Epic Brewing, Epically Growing: Epic Brewing Company has been steadily climbing Ratebeer.com's top 100 breweries in the world list.
- Uinta Brewing Co: Also featured on Ratebeer.com's top 100 breweries, Uinta continues to build an impressive list of accolades from their inception in 2010.
- Global Bottlings: There's a well-reported sentiment that the infamous low-point limit on draught beer actually has a significant benefit for brewers in that it challenges them to brew better, being unable to cover up potential defects in beer with a higher alcohol content. Brewers then take that skill and apply it across their product line. While Utah's bars only carry draughts at 4.0 percent ABV, local bars and restaurants stock bottlings of all ABV from across the world.
Liquor Before Beer
- Night Out: Mixologists have put together some pretty incredible craft cocktail menus for your night on the town, whether dining in at Wild Grape, Copper Onion, Frida Bistro, Finca, Em's or Rye Diner and Drinks, or grabbing a beverage at Bar-X after the ballet.
- High West Distillery (Park City): High West has set the bar for not only whiskey blending, new whiskeys and vodka in Utah, but has earned national distinction for their spirits.
- Beehive Distillery (Ogden): Their grain-to-glass approach to craft distillation has its team sourcing quality raw materials, distilling their own spirits and patiently aging its earliest products in small batches.
- Sugar House Distillery: Practices a similar craft distillation process as Beehive and holds the distinction of offering Utah's first locally distilled rum.
When these experiences are paired with a blossoming farm-to-table scene, you can find flavors unique to Utah virtually anywhere in the state. All of these restaurants have carefully crafted cocktail menus, wine pairings or exclusive wines, and incredible cuisine.
And no, there are no discounted drinks during happy hour, but Utah is still happier and more optimistic than most states. Last year's poll from Gallup Well-being showed Utah topping the nation for future livability based on 13 forward-looking metrics measuring standards of living, health, workforce and economic confidence.
Maybe we've earned that beer. But with fresh powder dropping in the mountains and a plethora of resorts close by, to really work up that thirst, we've got some playing to do first.
See our roundup of local distilleries and experience our growing variety of unique spirits.
Read how Utah's liquor laws support its vibrant craft brew scene.
Fervor on Foot: Tracking Salt Lake's Food and Spirits
Salt Lake City, Utah is a walkable town with a flourishing and ever-evolving food and spirits culture. Find a neighborhood district to stroll, taste, touch and see!
Read the Stories
Après-ski at Utah's Vintage Bars and Modern Classics
An act of celebration and relaxation, one simply must make time for apres-ski with your carving compadres after the lifts have closed.
How-to Guide for Salt Lake City Conference Attendees: Food, Drink and Fun
Here’s everything you need to know to get the most out of your time before, during, and after your conference in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The Hills are Alive With the Scent of Whiskey
The first of several legal Utah distilleries since 1870 is the High West Distillery. Tour the facility, enjoy a tasting, build your flight and have a burger.
Utah Spirits Tours
Utahns have rediscovered distilling. Sample the merchandise on a gin distillery tour, stay for dinner and taste Utah whiskey, vodka and more on other tours.
Utah's Rum Underdogs
Utah distilleries are becoming very popular. Distillery 36 is rising to the top of the list. Drink in their story and then let’s toast with Brigham agricole rum!