Moroni was originally known as Mego, then Sanpitch, both names of local Native Americans. The town was established in 1859 and renamed Moroni for a Book of Mormon prophet. Moroni is home to Moroni Feed Company, one of the world's most successful turkey cooperatives. With the eighth largest turkey processing plant in the country, that roast turkey you serve during the holidays may well be from Utah! The Moroni Opera House and Dinner Theater is a historical building that has been restored and is host to many plays and operas. The town's Red Hot Fourth of July has been featured in a documentary shown on Public Television as a small American town celebrating the nation's birthday in a big way.
Culture and Heritage Attractions
The Moroni Opera House and Dinner Theater is a restored historical building that is host to many plays and musical performances.
In the Vicinity Cultural & Heritage Attractions
In 1854, Levan was the place where the Walker War was ended when Mormon leader Brigham Young passed the Pipe of Peace with Chief Walker. It is said that in September 1867, Brigham Young chose "LeVan" as the name of the townsite, meaning the rear portion of a moving army. Many residents say Levan was named such because it is "navel" spelled backwards, and the city is located at the center of the state.
Named for a Book of Mormon prophet, this town was fortified by settlers who built 12-foot walls and a moat to surround it. Its architectural diversity contains structures built of adobe, logs, brick, and stone in simple and elaborate styles. Each July, Nephi hosts the famous Ute Stampede, featuring a PRCA Rodeo and western celebration.
Originally "Coal Bed," Wales was renamed for the immigrants sent by Brigham Young to mine the coal. Each June, Wales celebrates its mining and Welsh heritage.
Family Fun Activities
The Ute Stampede is three days of family activities every July, including a professional rodeo, Juab County Fairgrounds, (435) 623-5608.
Settled by families in neighboring communities in 1859, Moroni sits on the north bend of the San Pitch River. The town was known by four different names before settling on Moroni.